Saturday, February 14, 2009

My heart is No Holiday

But we can still celebrate Valentine's Day
Why? Well, why not? I honestly don't see the problem in enjoying a little of this mushy festivity once a year. Does that mean that I can't show I care about someone other times during the year. No. I still would and still do. Does that mean that I'm bound by commercial gimmicks to buy a ton of roses/chocolates and cards? No. Does this mean that I'm insincere and disillusioned when I tell someone "I love you, happy valentines day." Absolutely not.
Do you want to know what it does mean?
It means that I recognize this as a day that celebrates Love. And I love me some love. Just because a Holiday exists doesn't mean that every other day of the year, we forget about it. That's why the holiday exists in the first place, so that we make sure we don't forget. Or because that particular event was so powerful to us that we take time aside just for that event. In this case, emotion.
At least that's how I see it.
I love giving and getting valentines day cards and gifts. Not because I expect you to get me something better than the next girl, but because I hope that you can acknowledge this as a day to celebrate what we have together.
And why not?

No comments: